The parish of St John the Evangelist, Wroxall takes seriously its responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of children, young people and adults who may be at risk of harm, and has produced the following safeguarding policy and underpinning procedures in order to set out the standards we wish to uphold.
This policy applies to all church officers and is informed by and supports the House of Bishops’ and Diocesan policy and practice guidance. The term ‘parish’ is used to denote the PCC and Incumbent who together are responsible for ensuring the safety and protection of all vulnerable groups involved with the church. It is also the responsibility of all church officers to assist the PCC in this endeavour.
We recognise that:
- The welfare of the child or young person is paramount.
- All children and adults with vulnerabilities, regardless of age, culture, disability, gender, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to protection from abuse.
- Partnership working is essential to good safeguarding practice.
- All suspicions and allegations of abuse and poor practice will be taken seriously and responded to without delay.
- All church officers have a responsibility to report concerns to their Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO).
- Church officers must receive support and training to be aware of and understand best practice, and how to manage any welfare or safeguarding issues that may arise.
Our Parish Safeguarding Officer is Cathy Lewis. Contact email@example.com.
If your concern is urgent, then please contact the Portsmouth Diocesan Safeguarding Team on 02392 899677 during office hours, or their mobile 07544 566850.
The link to their website is https://www.portsmouth.anglican.org/safeguarding/
In an emergency situation please call the Police on 999.